The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection is the state’s primary consumer protection agency. The Bureau of Consumer Protection has authority to regulate unfair business practices.
What We Do
Operate Wisconsin’s Consumer Protection Hotline; consumers can contact our hotline staff by email at DATCPHotline@Wisconsin.gov or through our toll-free hotline at (800) 422-7128. We:
- Handle 100,000 new consumer complaints and inquiries every year.
- Returned approximately $4.4 million to consumers in 2015.
- Regulate unfair and deceptive business practices to protect millions of Wisconsin consumers every day.
- Administer Wisconsin’s telemarketing “Do Not Call” Law (over 4.5 million Wisconsin numbers are registered).
- Educate consumers on best practices to combat and avoid identity theft, and offer recovery services to identity theft victims with the aid of the Identity Theft Assistance Team.
- Regulate hazardous consumer products.
- Enforce environmental regulations related to consumer products