The Family Care and IRIS Ombudsman services are available to people who are experiencing problems with these long-term care programs. Ombudsman services are free and confidential and provide the following support:
- Answer questions or provide information on consumer rights
- Seek ways to resolve issues through informal strategies (negotiation with MCOs or IRIS agencies; technical assistance to support self-advocacy)
- Assist in filing complaints for formal appeals and grievances
- Provide technical assistance or representation for administrative hearings
- Work collaboratively with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) on due process problems or on issues that impact enrollees
- Provide education at community forums or presentations about the Ombudsman program and consumer rights in Family Care and IRIS.