The Veterans Service Department requires that each county in Wisconsin shall elect/appoint an honorably discharged veteran of the U S military service to the position of County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO). These duties include:
- Advise persons living in the service officer’s county who served in the U S armed forces regarding local, state, and federal benefits to which they may be entitled.
- Assist in resolving any problems veterans encounter accessing the programs provided by the federal or state Veteran’s Administration.
- Provide service and assistance to qualified dependents and/or surviving spouse to ensure they are informed of benefits they may be entitled to.
Maintain a record of burials of all veterans within the county.
- Cooperate with other local, state, and federal agencies to provide services to veterans and answer questions regarding veteran’s issues.
- Serve as executive secretary of the County Veterans Service Commission (CVSC). The CVSC is comprised of three honorably discharged veterans who monitor a program to provide financial aid to needy veterans and their dependents.