HealthCheck is the Wisconsin Medicaid term for comprehensive, preventive health checkups and services for children under the age of 21 through the federal Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT) benefit. The goal of HealthCheck is to prevent illnesses and find health issues early.
HealthCheck Services are free for MA recipients under 18 years of age, and recipients under age 21 enrolled in HMOs. A co-payment of $1.00 is charged to recipients 18 - 20 years of age who are not in an HMO.
HealthCheck teaches you and your child how to prevent illness, and can also find any health problems early, before they become serious. (Remember, a healthy child is a happy child!) HealthCheck meets the physical exam requirements for programs such as Head Start, Child Care or WIC (Women, Infants and Children Supplemental Food Program) and school physical. A HealthCheck referral may also make you eligible for some services not normally paid for by MA.
A HealthCheck does:
* Head to Toe Physical Exam
* Immunizations (shots)
* Lab Tests
* Eye Exam
* Growth and Development Check
* Hearing Check
* Mouth Exam
* Nutrition Check (Eating Habits)
* Health Information
* Other Checks You Need
* Special Teen-age Health Education
* Teen Pregnancy Services
1. Call toll free: 1-800-722-2295 (or 1-800-362-3002 in Madison area) to find out your nearest HealthCheck provider. If you are enrolled in an HMO, call them for information on HealthCheck.
2. Make the HealthCheck appointment and go!
3. Follow the advice of your HealthCheck doctor, nurse, and dentist, and go to any follow-up care appointments.
4. Stay healthy, plan to go to all future HealthChecks.