What is Weatherization?
Weatherization is a service provided at no cost to the tenant or owner of a home if the tenant qualifies. Basic weatherization services can:
• Reduce your home heating bills.
• Save energy.
• Make your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Some of the services could include:
• Insulate walls and attics.
• Insulate or replace water heater.
• Install energy efficient lighting.
• Repair or replace furnace.
• Test and/or replace refrigerator.
• Perform a general health and safety inspection.
• Provide information about maintenance and energy conservation.
How do I qualify?
• Applying for Energy Assistance is the first step in determining your eligibility.
• Your house/apartment has not been weatherized before.
• 50% of the building’s tenants qualify (Example: A 4-unit building would need 2 tenants to qualify for the program.)
• Your household meets certain priorities that may include a high energy burden or use, an elderly or disabled member our a child under six.
• If you qualify, you will be referred to either SDC’s Weatherization Program or La Casa Esperanza’s Weatherization Program.
• Contact SDC’s Weatherization Program at (414) 344-9010 to find out whose list you are on and who to request an application from.
What happens next?
• If you are qualified to receive an application, the assigned program will mail you an application.
• Complete the application and mail it back in the enclosed envelope to get started.
Listed on Milwaukee County Home Repair and Home Chore Resource Manual